Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
The storm is coming.

Review:

Debut author Brigid Kemmerer has made a fantastic novel. I loved it. If I had time, I probably would have finished it in a day. After the first day, I had read 18 chapters. Kinda shocking, but then again, the chapters are somewhat short. But that doesn't devalue the rating of this awesome book.

So, my first impression of this book, and it's prequel, Elemental, was Mafia. Secret deals, shootings, guns, threats, the whole nine yards. In a way, it kinda is. The Merricks stay on their side and don't do anything stupid, and the bad guys stay on their side. Well, because Becca had to tell his brothers what happened, and Gabriel wanted revenge, the bad guys bring the Guide in, some powerful dude with all the powers of the elements, including Spirit. And since he believes, and his superiors believe, that the Merricks have gone insane, they all need to be destroyed. So, it's kinda a battle to survive. And thinking it was a mafia type book really got me excited. I've never read one.

As most of you know, I love it when we can read about different character's thoughts; the POV's are switch back and forth basically. Well, I loved reading Becca's and Chris's thoughts. At first, Chris was just a jerk, but then I warmed up to him as I read through his eyes. He's just a softy. Becca, who is tormented by everyone because of her jackass of an ex-boyfriend, was strong through most of it, and really starting to try to live life without all the rumors in her ears. I really liked it how she took it upon herself to learn self-defense so she didn't have to rely on the boys to save her all the time. What a heroine!

The Love Triangle. Normally, I'm not much a fan of them. Let the heroine be with one sweet, cute guy and let them have some troubles, but this love triangle was kinda.....normal. So, Hunter is the new kid, and he really likes Becca. Chris likes Becca after he saves her and she saves him and blah blah blah. But because Chris is a magnet for trouble, Becca kinda is cautious towards him, where Hunter saves her from the bad guys. But, as guys, when they see their girl in another's arms, they hate each other. And it doesn't help that this is kinda the way Hunter and Chris meet. And it's typical teenage boy jealousy that made it....real. And it wasn't insta-love, it was 'teenage crush, crap why didn't I just ask her, oh, I'm going to kill him' love--ish. That's how I look at it.

The ending. Of course there's going to be room to start the sequel, and there is. I was so shocked. I couldn't believe the truth that came out in the end. It had me screaming for the next one. And the resolution to the triangle had me smiling all the way to the end. Becca's lucky.

Future: Spark and the Elemental novella Fearless

Quotes:

Hunter vs. Tommy, one of the jackasses of the book.
"'Look, dude' he said, his voice low and earnest. 'You want to ask me out, you man up and do it proper.' Everybody laughed--including Jeremy. Tommy shoved the clip off his desk and fumed." pg. 48

Chris's thoughts.
"I was just getting used to Becky. (said eariler by Becca)
"Chris grinned, and told himself he looked liek an idiot.
"He couldnt' help it."

Storm was an amazing book from an amazing debut author. I can't wait to read more from Brigid.

Rating & Ending:

Cover:
I love who plays Chris and Nick/Gabriel, but Michael looks stoned and Hunter, I hate his hair.
Other than that, love the cover.

*Bought this book.

Keep On Reading!


Up Next:
Part way through it.



1 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I read this one and loved it, cant wait for the next one

    ReplyDelete