Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Bittersweet


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Goodreads: Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last...

Review:

Okay, so, I've been dying for this book, and when I found out that I won $15 to Amazon from Nikki from Pretty Opinionated, I picked Bittersweet. I've been wanting this book since I first saw an interview with Sarah Ockler on Simon & Schuster Youtube page. I was like, "I need this book. I need this book." And now here I am to review it for your reading pleasure. Enjoy.

So, our story starts off with our heroine finding a cheetah print bra that belongs to neither her or her mother. This confirms her mother's fear: her husband is cheating on her. This causes Hudson to throw her major skating competition in hopes that her family doesn't break up. Unfortunately, her ass of a dad does leave, she leaves her friends, and Hudson escapes into her cupcakes. But when opportunity knocks, she jumps at the chance to leave her town that is smothering her, with her mom wanting her to be like her, and everyone wanting cupcakes, and her ass of a dad not even talking to them, but with what cost? This is the plot, of course. Kinda typical, but it's the different characters and the struggles they go through that's different from others. I hated it how Hudson had to sneak around to skate because she thought it would remind her mother of their dad, but if it did, she should've at least asked how her mom felt. It's when divorced family kids put their parents feelings above what they dream about that makes me angry, but Bittersweet made me get through to the end to see what happened.

Hudson. She's like a regular small town girl. Wants to leave even though her family doesn't want her too. Well, her mom. As a teenager, I get why she wants to leave. Sometimes the small town live gets overwhelming, and that's the feeling I got when I read the book. She wants an escape. And she's unsure of her feelings for the boys in her life, and she doesn't have any help with it because her mom's always busy and she has to look after her eight year old brother. I love her anyway. Her determination to at least try to go for what she thought she wanted is admirable, and standing up for what happened between her and Kara, ex-bff turned mutual friend, shows she will fight and keep going for what she wants.

Our boys on the hockey team helped a lot. In exchange for ice time, Hudson helps the boys on the hockey team get better at......well, hockey. I thought this was a smart deal, except for the two boys that enter Hudson's life. Will and Josh. Josh I liked immediately. He was funny and smart and had a cute humor to him. Will, he's just a jock with a sweet side. He's not a total jerk, but he is one for what he was going to do to the team if not for Hudson. Even though the book had more steamy scenes with Will, there was always tension and flirting around Josh. And Josh really liked Hudson, hated to see her with Will. Same here. Loved Josh. So sweet.......kinda reminds me of a guy I know. If you know what i mean.

The ending was a classic one. Our heroine gets with the right guy, the other guy gets nothing, and eveything is right with the world. Our heroine finally realizes that her skating life is for her parallel self and the dad that left her and her family. Finally realizing what went wrong. I love it when that happens.

One thing about this book that stands out against all others is that at the beginning of each chapter, and sometimes within the chapters, there are cupcake recipes. I love them. Favorite ones that sound the most delicious: Chocolate Cherry Fixer-Upers, Lights, Camera, Cupcakes, Damsels in Distress, and Cupcakes of Destiny.

Future: Stand-alone.

Quotes:

"'Blackthorn? Please. Shut. Up.' I grab the collar of his jacket and pul him into me, answering every last protest with a kiss-a real one, deep and intentional." pg. 376

Bittersweet as an tasty treat to read. Sweet, romantic, funny, full of drama. Nothing better than a contemporary book to but a smile on your face.

Rating:
Yes, might not sound like a Big Kahuna book, but it was in my book.

Cover & Ending:

*Won this book.


Keep On Reading!


Up Next:
Done with it actually, and review to come soon. :D


0 comments:

Post a Comment