Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dystopian April #6: Article 5 + 1 thing


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Goodreads:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.
The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.
There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.
Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.
Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.


Review:

Dystopians always have the same type of plot.Corrupt government, a resistance plotting against them, and one or two people are our heroes. The only difference is the type of society.

In Article 5, rights have been taken away and the government "governs' the people by what they call Articles. In violation of them, you could die or stay in prision forever, but most likely death. Citizens are in constant fear. There is barely any money. The most jobs are as Moral Milita (MM) soldiers (as the people like to call them), and those are for men only. Women do cleaning or teacher or other 'womenly' jobs. Gah. So, it's basically the middle ages. Men provided for the family, women cooked and cleaned, children learned.

Well, Article 5 says that a family must have one man, one woman, and children. Ember's mom becomes in violation of this by having Ember out of wedlock and there is no husband present afterward. So, Ember's mom goes off to 'jail' and Ember is sent to a Catholic reform school where they beat girls to make them behave. I thought this was wrong but cool. Taking an old way of life and fusing it with future materials. That was cool. Though I dislike the beatings. Accurate, but horrible.

After a few days in reform school, Ember decides she needs to get out. This includes blackmail. Blackmail, I believe, is one of the most important ways of getting what you want in YA books. It just makes the book a bit more sinster and dark. And in this one, a soldier can't have the life Ember saw one try to hide. So, using this, she tries to break out, but fails. But then Chase comes and gets her out.

Now, from there, Chase is suppose to take her to a safehouse where her mom's at. That's what Ember's goal is throughout most of the book. When that horrid plot twist hits, I was like 'NO FREAKIN' WAY THIS IS HAPPENING!" I was mad. I can't say that much about it, I already gave away too much, but I was not happy.

Chase and Ember. Both very determined people. The War and losing almost everything has scarred them both. Chase mostly. (His uncle abandoned him after the War.) Their both smart. Ember is a little bit reservative. She doesn't show her feelings when it comes to seeing Chase again and what he's become. Chase is even more. He beats a tree because he can't seem to get his feelings out. In the book, he's mostly dark and if you met him in an alley, dangerous. But also protective. When they get into trouble, his first instinct is to protect Ember before him. When she talks about if she gets hurt or killed and the other has to keep moving, he just gets angry and tells her that's not going to happen. I loved that. But I hated that Ember couldn't see what he really felt. And sometimes I thought Ember was a bit of a cry baby when times seemed like they couldn't turn for the good.

Future: Apparently, it's going to be a trilogy. But the next one doesn't come out until next year.:(

Quotes:
"You are my home." Chase. pg 295

I recommend this to all of you who love a great story of survival.

Rating, Cover, Ending:

The ending was so sweet!



*I traded for this book.



Keep On Reading!



Up Next:

Okay, so I bought and started reading Somebody To Love because it looked like a cute read. The Hunt I will start eventually.



ONE THING! KEEP READING!

I will NOT be finishing all my dystopian books for April. Not a shocking surprise to me since I have well over 15 dystopians. So, when I am done with The Hunt, I will just be picking out books from under my self as I go.



0 comments:

Post a Comment