Friday, April 13, 2012

Dystopian April #4: Divergent


WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Goodreads:
In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

First:


Second: The Review

I have to say, this was one of the best dystopians I have ever read. I’m not saying this just cause, no. I really liked this book. It made me happy, mad, sad, and down right frustrated. I could’ve killed some people in this book! But that’s what made it exciting and suspenseful.

In Divergent, a futuristic Chicago is divided into factions: Dauntless, Amity, Abnegation, Candor, and Erudite. At 16, you choose which one you want to be a part of. You can either transfer or stay with the one you currently a part of. Well, Beatrice, later Tris, after taking her aptitude test found out she was Divergent, or that she had several matches. So, after careful consideration, she chooses Dauntless (Yay!) and starts her initiation. Well, as she starts going through it all, she finds out information that could very well get her and her old factions killed. But doing something about it would mean revealing she’s Divergent, and that’s something that will get her killed.

The faction thing is somewhat smart yet stupid. You don’t have to worry about finding a job, but you’re limited. You get food when you want, but like in Abnegation, you get a hamburger. Also, you don’t really get to think for yourself. You’re told what to do, but you do have a little free time. NO, let me rephrase that—you are taught to think a certain way. Blah.

And I see how Abnegation would be chosen to be the government leaders (And how Erudite might hate them), being selfish in all and would think of what’s best for the other factions and what they need. But obviously, they didn’t really think about what Erudite wanted. They wanted luxury and wealth, but Abnegation held it back. Not smart. Oh well, I knew in the beginning war was bound to happen with Erudite attacking Abnegation like that.

Tris…hmm…she’s like a Rose + Lena. Brave, kinda shy, out to discover herself, and a good fighter, mentally and physically. While in Dauntless, Tris finds out that she’s selfish yet still has that Abnegation a part of her. She wants to be a member, even if she has to take down her new friends. But she is kinda and supports her friends and tries to encourage them that they will all make it (except a few that get cut). She’s a kick-ass fighter and has a lot of determination. She’s a character to look up too. Well, down to in a way. She’s short. NO! FUN SIZED! Oh, and she has this addiction (or I think it is) or adrenaline rushes.

Four is complex. That’s the first word that comes to my mind when I think of him. He’s mysterious, but not in that dark and brooding way. He can be mean (like when he yells at an injured Drew) but usually it’s to make the initiatives work harder. His nickname Four is a result of a result from his initiation. Four is secretive, not claiming where he came from or what his family’s like. Why? His past is what made him. It’s not a pretty past, and we learn about it, but it makes him him. He never forgets it, and constantly tries to cover come it. But I believe he will in the second book because he has Tris.

Speaking of Tris and Four: their relationship. I really liked it. It wasn’t one of those mushy gushy relationships where the couple automatically says “I LOVE YOU!” and then is heartbroken when they have to split up. Or one of those couples where the girl has been in love the guy forever and then the guy realizes it, or visa versa. No, their relationship is based upon the fact that they came from Abnegation, where there intimate relationships are a no-no for teens until they grow up and are ready to marry. But even then it’s not overly intimate. In this, it’s their first crush. More Four than Tris, though she does blush and have her heart skip a beat when he’s near sometimes. But their relationship develops over time. A little over half way is when their relationship was official. It’s so cute! I love the chasm scene.

Future: Insurgent + one more! I can’t wait!

Quotes:

“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." Tobias

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” Tris

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up.” Tris

The book never failed to bore me. It kept my attention with all the action and drama. It's a story worth reading over and over again.

Rating
I'm giving this the Big Kahuna because despite that I didn't read it in one day, I really did like it. I never had such a great time reading this book. I made myself go to sleep because it was so late.

Cover

Ending
Hate Cliffhangers


*Bought this at Meyers in Indiana



Keep On Reading!



Up Next:
And nearly done with it!


1 comments:

  1. I liked this book so much! Seriously, so good. I'm excited to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete